Friday, May 22, 2009

poignant and powerful


This past week end, I attended my niece's 13th birthday party. It was a really big deal (over 100 guests in attendance), with great food and a DJ. We all had a great time.


I spend a little time on the dance floor (when the era was right. Music from the 60s to the 80s tends to call my name). At one point I noticed my spouse looking over at us rather intently. When I asked him later he told me that he was having a "poignant moment."

We were three strong women, all mothers, all activists in our own way and all at different stages of cancer survivorship. And we were tearing up the dance floor. We were smoking (if I do say so myself) and not just as cancer patients, not just as women over 40. We were three women who loved to dance and who were having a great time.

I remember thinking, I really love dancing with these women. And when I was on the dance floor, I didn't think of cancer at all.

2 comments:

SpoiledMom said...

beautiful, moving post! I love those moments and snippets in time that make you forget, if only for a second, and in that moment, all is well and there is no cancer..
Fight the fight, my sister in cancer. Wishing you more beautiful days.

The Maven said...

That's pretty awesome. You make over forty sound fantastic. I (almost) look forward to joining you! Rock on, sister. :)